Given that our college has students from around the world and that our location is somewhat remote, parent engagement in the day-to-day life of UWCD is limited. Despite that, we actively seek parents who are willing to contribute time and knowledge to make the learning experience for their child and other students richer and broader.
We invite parents to:
- Participate in our regular town hall meetings.
Participate in the activities of the UWCD parent organisation – the Parent Council.
- Follow the latest developments by subscribing to our newsletter, following the social media and visiting the website (which has a Facebook feed on the main page).
- Contribute by speaking at our events and offer expertise as appropriate.
- Provide feedback via surveys or by corresponding directly with the relevant staff.
- Join us for in-person gatherings where possible.
Over the 2020/21 academic year through a survey followed by a consultative process with the parent community, the UWCD Parent Council was established. Even though our parent body is dispersed around the world, during the pandemic we all learnt that distance is not always a problem and that technology can facilitate productive interactions.
The aim of the Parent Council is to serve as a conduit for the parents and families of students attending UWCD to work together, in partnership with the Head, College Leadership Team and the whole school community, to help provide the best possible educational outcomes for our students.
The Parent Council's role:
- Be a forum for representing the parent community.
- Serve as a conduit to liaise with the UWCD leadership in relation to the issues that might be of relevance to the parent community at large.
- Create networking opportunities for the UWCD parents.
- In consultation with the Head, support the school with events and activities.
- Upon request by the Head, advise the Head and the College Leadership Team on any matters relating to the school.
As the goal of the Parent Council is to support UWCD and its mission, after going through the consultation process, it was agreed that the work of the Parent Council will be conducted via the following committees:
Communications - facilitates the Parent Council communication, interaction among the committees and manages the UWCD Parent Facebook.
Graduation - focuses on parent involvement around the graduation.
Fundraising - spearheads parent involvement in the initiatives of the Parent Council.
Onboarding - coordinates a buddy system to assist new families as they join the UWCD community.
UWCD & Beyond - facilitates participation of parents in career advice and university sessions, hosting students and providing internship opportunities for our students and alumni.
One does not need to be a member of the Parent Council to participate in the work of the committees or perform once-off tasks. If you are interested in getting involved in any of the activities above or would like to propose other areas, please contact the Parent Council at firstname.lastname@example.org